Crockpot BBQ Beer Pulled Pork Tacos with Crispy Onion Straws and Mango Salsa are fresh and full of flavor! With just minutes of prep time, this recipe is an ideal weeknight dinner!
YIELD: SERVES 4-6
PREP TIME: 30 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 8 HOURS
TOTAL TIME: 8.5 HOURS
- 1 (3.5-pound) pork shoulder roast (mine was bone-in)
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 12 ounces of beer
- 32 ounces of barbecue sauce + additional for drizzling
- 12 small flour or corn tortillas
- 4-6 ounces freshly grated cheddar cheese
- 1 batch of crispy onion straws
- 1 mango, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 jalapeño, finely diced
- 1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
- the juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Optional but yields the best result: heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add about 1-2 tablespoons olive oil. Sear the pork on every side (about 2-3 minutes per side) until golden brown before adding to the crockpot.
Add pork to crockpot with onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Add beer and 24 ounces of barbecue sauce. Cook on low for 8 hours, tossing once or twice if desired. After 8 hours, shred pork with forks or kitchen tongs and add remaining barbecue sauce. Toss pork to coat and let sit for 10-15 minutes before serving to absorb everything. Remove bone (if bone-in) before serving.
I made the mango salsa about 2 hours before serving and the crispy onion straws about 1 hour before. To assemble tacos, place pork in the center of the tortilla and top with a drizzle of barbecue sauce if desired. Add on cheddar, then onion straws and then a big spoonful of mango salsa. Eat up!
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and toss well to mix. Can be stored in the fridge for 2-3 days, is best when sits for a few hours so the flavors marry.
Recipe and photos from: www.HowSweetEats.com